This year, we have exciting new outreach opportunities at Four Corners Elementary (500 Elma Avenue SE, Salem, OR 97317-5621). This is a school in our neighborhood that has 500 students with 87% of the families at poverty level. 60% are Hispanic children, many of whom are struggling with English as a second language.
Four Corners is blessed with a community school outreach coordinator (CSOC), Yvonne Medrano, who has many volunteer opportunities to connect you to TODAY. In addition, staff from the Salem-Keizer Education Foundation, Michelle Fleener and Kim Siegrist, are ready to make our volunteer outreach to Four Corners a rich and fruitful experience for students, parents and YOU.
Here is a list of the opportunities available:
- Immediate need for volunteers to help organize school supplies at the central supply warehouse at Walker Middle School. No background check is needed; if you can help contact Michelle at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-364-2933.
- Help Yvonne in the Four Corners volunteer office. No background check needed. Contact Yvonne at medrano_yvonne@salkeiz.K12.or.us or 503-399-3145.
The rest of these opportunities require a completed background check. If you haven’t already submitted one, you can pick up a form at the church office. Complete it and return to the church office. We will send it to the school district. You should be cleared in a week. If you aren’t sure if your background check is on file, contact Yvonne at medrano_yvonne@salkeiz.K12.or.us or 503-399-3145.
- During the school day, tutors and mentors are needed. Most needed times are Tuesdays from 12:20-2:30 p.m., and Thursdays from 9-10 a.m. If you are available at other times, that is possible as well. You will stay with the same student(s) all school year. Contact Yvonne at medrano_yvonne@salkeiz.K12.or.us or 503-399-3145.
- Be a library assistant. Help students find the right book for them.
- Help in the technology lab. Many students have never worked with computers and need help becoming computer literate.
- 100 students are waiting for more volunteers so they can participate in the After School Program. 165 students are already enrolled.
• Help students while in line for the hot dinner which is served Monday-Friday from 3:00-3:30 p.m. Sit with them while they eat.
• Help with prep work for art and science projects.
• Help students with homework in The Zone, located in the library.
• Help design craft projects.
• Assist with the Lego Robotics team.
• Assist students in Reuse Recycle Re-gift arts and crafts class.
• Help students garden in the community garden on Monday and Tuesday from 3:30 – 5:30 p.m.
• Work with students in the Fancy Nancy Club.
• Help with the Ooey Goey Science activities.
• Play with kids in the gym or on the playground.
• Teach kids how to knit or crochet.
• Teach kids what you know and are passionate about!!
• Be a kid’s grownup! Many kids hunger for positive adults in their life.
Questions? Contact Jackie Klimowicz at email@example.com or 503-585-5044.